Feb 3-April 9, 2011
9 sessions plus culminating event
Food Fight: Drawing the history of our food
Slanguage Juniors Drawing Class
Come learn basic skills in drawing while learning about the history of what you eat and today’s fight to grow and eat healthy food! Gain skills by:
- Drawing with pencil, charcoal, and pastels.
- Working from objects, still life, and drawing live models!
- Exploring why people in Mexico and other parts of the world are struggling to grow their native food, like maiz or corn, which our ancestors have grown and eaten for hundreds of years.
- Learning why these types of foods have been such important parts of our diet and culture and how other foods are affected today!
Materials included in class fee. Prerequisite: Must have interest in art.
STAC, Slanguage Teen Arts Council
Join the Slanguage Teen Arts Council and learn leadership skills through art! Gain great experience for college applications by:
- working with an arts organization and gaining marketing and production skills
- meet with other working artists, and arts institutions
- developing programming including events and exhibits, and community art projects for your own peers and community.
Who should apply?
Creative people who want to gain skills in organizing and art. Whether you’re a photographer, writer, poet, activist, or other artist, if you are interested in gaining experience, and being exposed to the artworld, this is the program for you.
The deadline to register and/or apply is Monday, January 31, 2010. Parents with children under 18, must register them in person. Please visit during open hours M-F 10am-5pm. We accept cash or checks made out to Slanguage or by making a donation on the website via our Paypal service. We will close registration after we have enrolled a maximum of 10 students. There are no refunds.